Monday, September 19, 2005

Homework (and the Mets) Suck; Elton John doesn't

The hardest part of going back to school is definitely doing homework again. We only have four classes a week -- Stats, Micro, Policy Analysis and Policy Process -- but I think that actually makes the homework harder because you feel like you can just put it off. In a weird twist of fate, the major homework assignments for my policy process are to write policy memos. Amazing I was just getting paid to read and edit these things, now I have to pay to write them. Just unbelievable.

The fact is that there is just not much incentive to do the homework. My policy memos get graded on a check +, check, and check - scale. Who knew that grades in grad school are the same grades you get in 1st grade. With so much time between classes and when homework do I find myself putting it off which certainly isn't good.

So I'm heading to DC this weekend and when I originally planned it, Jared and I were talking about going to all three Mets/Nats games because there was a chance the Mets would still be going for the wildcard. Well we know that's no longer the case. The Mets have done what they do every year. Tease the diehard fans for a good part of the season and then just pack it in. At one point the Mets were about 7 games over .500 and a half game out of the wildcard. Now they are 10 games under .500 and out of the race. They got swept at home last week by the Nats who are fading just as fast. Hey thanks a lot for that one Looper you jackass. I don't care what they do in the offseason, but if Braden Looper is the closer next year when the season starts I'm gonna be a damn Devil Rays fan. At least they beat the Yankees a lot.

Last weekend I saw Elton John at MCI Center which was an amazing show. For all you that are going to make fun of me for seeing him, just remember its better than paying money to see Journey who I also saw this summer. Elton played a great set and is a great performer. He played with passion the whole time and didn't mail anything in at all. I wish I could have seen him with Billy Joel when they played together a few years ago.

Had my first experience with a place called Power Plant up here in Bawlmer on Friday night. This place was scary. It's basically a shopping mall of bars. There are like 10 bars in a one block area and a lot of whitetrash wherever you look. We went to this place Have A Nice Day Cafe, which had a dance floor with neon lights and more whitetrash. The best part was getting two free drinks because of a buddy's coworker. Needless to say we all got smashed. They had a drunk pizza place right outside, but it wasn't nearly as good as Adams Morgan drunk pizza. When we got home I got into a huge argument with one of my roommate's brother's friends about politics and kicked him out the house. Altogether a nice ending to a good ending.

Okay I gotta go do some homework...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home